Your Privia Provider
With access to your health history and an understanding of your individual needs, your doctor can give you advice over the phone to guide your next steps.
Those next steps could be:
- A same-day or next-day appointment in the office
- A virtual visit same-day or next-day
- A referral to a specialist or other Privia doctor
- A visit to an urgent care facility or, if it is a life-threatening emergency, a visit to the emergency department
Urgent care facilities can treat immediate needs that cannot wait until morning.
Benefits of Urgent Care
- Primarily staffed by family care doctors
- Equipped to handle non-life-threatening situations
- Fast and cost-effective alternative to the emergency department
The emergency department is meant for the following:
- Life-threatening situations
- Serious and sudden medical conditions
If you or a loved one is experiencing a life-threatening emergency, call 9-1-1 or find safe transportation to the emergency department near you.
Comparing Urgent Care and the Emergency Department
Time: Urgent care visits average 30 minutes vs. 2 hours, 15 minutes for the Emergency Department
Cost: Urgent care visits average $50 - $150 vs. $1,233 at the emergency department.
For patients with insurance, a copayment will almost always be higher for emergency department visits than for urgent care visits.
Remember to follow up with your primary care provider after any changes to your health or seeing another doctor.
When the unexpected happens, your doctor and Privia can help you know what to expect, who to call, and where to go to receive the highest quality of care.
A list of preferred Urgent Care facilities is coming soon. Please call your doctor, 770.813.8742.